Sunday, February 22, 2009

Clean and jerk...

Chriss finally programmed something in the workout I can do! Or so I thought. I've been able to jerk a lot of weight overhead so far. But I've noticed over the last few weeks that I'm losing my overhead strength. I don't think that I've gotten weaker, no no. But I've gotten so focused on going heavier, that my ramp ups are not as strong, so when I work heavy, it doesn't feel good, and I think I've really lost the efficiency in my movement. Biggest problem with getting overhead is losing the bar in the rack position and then moving it away from your body instead of going straight overhead. With 85 pounds, that's not a problem. With 145 that becomes a rather large problem.

I was able to put up 125, and then 135 just wouldn't move. My efficiency had gone so much that it felt like poo. I literally stripped the bar and went down to 85 pounds and started working reps. I was working on keeping the bar higher on my shoulders, and making sure that my dip and drive was coming straight up off my shoulders and not out away from my face and then up. With any overhead movement you always want to work on keeping the bar close to your face. Last week I managed to nail myself in the nose (giving myself one heck of a bruise on the bridge of my nose I might add!) with a piece of PVC pipe while working on push presses. Now I need to refocus myself for other overhead work like the jerk, and start thinking about efficiency of movement, otherwise I won't ever be able to lift 140 or more again.

Always something to work on in CF...

No comments: