Friday, January 25, 2008

I rumbled with the Spartans.... unfortunately they won...

Monday started out as a super day. My first semi-full day off in nearly three weeks was going to allow me some extra play time at Crossfit, and I was excited that I didn't need to hit the grind first thing on a Monday morning. Looking back, I should have stayed in bed... for everyone KNOWS that holidays make Jerry like a kid in a candy store. He knows that many of us don't have to work, and can use that extra time to provide a little extra "fun". Having said that, my excitement upon reaching our famed blue room quickly changed. After seeing our "Meet the Spartans" workout, my excitement went from, oh great, to oh @$#%! I thought for a minute that since the workout was crazy already, I might go EXTRA crazy and pick up a 75 pound thruster. I have quickly learned that after 16+ years of high school and college swimming, plus some extended time with the masters, my shoulders are quite possibly the strongest thing on my body (next to my mouth). If you've never actually worked out near me, that's probably a good thing for you. I have difficulties shutting up sometimes. My talking may only consist of cursing and lamentations about my stupidity in weight choices, but nonetheless, I still talk. Moving on...

I chose (smartly) to stick with the 55 lb thruster and high pull and wow am I glad I did. I started out in the second wave, and nearly hit the floor after those push-ups. I had a giant note to self after that workout that my push-ups certainly need improving. While my shoulders may be certainly capable of hefting and holding a case of beer, er, I mean a sandbag, my triceps are certainly lacking. Through no small feat of man, I was (eventually) able to finish up the "Meet the Spartans". It was no land speed record by any means, but I came in just around the 38 minute mark. 38:11 to be exact. Amazingly, I didn't feel terrible after the workout, and I stayed to play with Danny, Robin, Keturah, Andrea, and Jerry, and took a look at my push-up form. Some modifications were made and I realized just HOW weak my triceps are. It's amazing how your body will adapt it's form to account for weaknesses. After our extended play time, I went home and finished out the rest of the day. I quickly realized on Tuesday though, just how badly I had been whooped by the Spartans. The combination of a kip into a squat barrier on Saturday, and the Spartan beating on Monday had my knee significantly throbbing, and me unable to move much of my body. I thought I would make it back in later in the week, but icing is still a part of the daily regimine. Perhaps I'll try tomorrow because let's face it. Those push-ups aren't going to improve themselves now are they? I've missed a bunch of KILLER workouts this week because of my knee and my crazy retarded schedule and I'm totally bummed out about it, so hopefully my return will be soon.

On a completely unrelated workout note, I would just like to offer a little friendly advice. Unless it's absolutely necessary, don't work three jobs, and avoid biting off more than you can chew. You're blood pressure will thank you for it. After the week I've had, I need some X-fit to help lower that bad boy down, especially since on top of everything, report cards are due. Speaking of report cards, I should probably zip it now since they're waiting on the desk beside me... but I'll leave with a quote that is one of my all time favorites, but pretty indicative of my week outside of the gym...

"Every piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit, gets you closer to finding the one that does."

2 comments:

Cara said...

I look forward to seeing you in class tomorrow! It's a shame you didn't make it in today - all we did was work on the handstand (which I have yet to get!).

Jerry Hill said...

Sorry to hear about your knee, hope it's good-to-go soon!

I'm going to post your blog on our CrossFit blog!