Wednesday, August 10, 2011

If you can squat it, FLAUNT IT!

So, today was heavy backsquats X 5.  We had 15 minutes to work up to a heavy set of 5 backsquats.  I have to say that backsquats are not my favorite lift.  I am very quad dominate, and to be honest, I don't do anything that involves hammies well.  Having said that, that's precisely why I SHOULD do more deadlifts, backsquats, etc, but nonetheless, they are still not my fave. 

I did feel sort of like a rockstar on my sets today though because of the sets I did, none of them really just gassed me.  Normally with backsquats my last set always just leaves me feeling like, ugh.  I'm dead and done.  Today I really didn't feel that way when I finished.  I think this may be because due to our time limit, I took larger jumps, and I did not work up bit by bit by bit.  I normally only make 10 pound jumps, and I think that over the course of time, this wears me out.  I think by making larger jumps, I was able to maintain and not fall apart as I finished up.  My sets were as follows:

85 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 5
155 X 5
175 X 5
200 X 5

I think doing these weights as opposed to what I would normally do, which is get to about 125 and then jump by 10, really helped me hit 200 X 5.  I feel like I definitely could have done more, and when we do this again, I'll probably jump to 155 from 115 and then try to go higher.  The sets felt good though so that was definitely a positive thing. 

After the backsquats, we had a conditioning wod.  I did pretty well despite having just taxed my legs.
It looked like this:

4 RFT
15 DB thrusters 25lbs
12 KB swings 45 lbs
200 M run

Time for this was 12:45.  The inside stuff felt great.   The humidity outside for the run sucked the life out of me.  I feel like this would have been faster had the day been a bit cooler, but then, isn't that always the case? Either way, it was a good day to WOD. 

No comments: