Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Katie's Tasty Chili

Ok, so I'm in love with chili.  I know, I know.  It's summer, it's like 8 million degrees here in DC, but I love chili, and so heat be damned, I made a ginormous pot.  The funny thing is, I don't like chili really, mostly because people always try to make it spicy or add some "new" ingredient.  Yuck.  However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way I make it.  It's simple, it's tasty, and it's (mostly) Primal.  The beans are not so bueno, but aside from that, all the other stuff, good for ya! So, since I never measure anything, this will be a little bit hard to write, but I'll do my best.  Feel free to try it out on your own!

Ingredients list (be sure to hit the store!)
1 lb ground beef (as lean as you can get it! I used 96/4)
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 medium onion (yellow or you could try red for different flavor)
2 cans light red kidney beans
2 cans dark red kidney beans
1 large can WHOLE peeled tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with roasted red peppers
1 can tomato paste
Ground cumin
Chili powder
Salt
Pepper
5 cloves garlic (I like garlic... adjust as you see fit)

Step 1- Be awesome... just being awesome will automatically make your chili better
Step 2- Chop onion, red pepper, green pepper and garlic
Step 3- Sip wine while sauteeing all of the above ingredients in a pan
Step 4- When veggies are slightly tender, throw in ground beef and finish veggies while browning ground beef.  This allows onion and veggie flavors to cook into beef.
Step 5- While veggies and beef are sauteeing, bring tomato paste, whole tomatoes, and diced tomatoes to a simmer in a large stock pot
Step 6- While tomatoes are simmering, use spoon to break whole tomatoes into uneven chunks 
Step 7- When beef is done browning, throw veggies and beef into stock pot with tomatoes.  Stir
Step 8- Open all cans of beans and drain some of the liquid off the beans, then add remaining liquid and beans to pot.  Continue to simmer
Step 9- Stir in salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder.  I use roughly 1/8 tsp of each.  Add more/less to your liking.  For stronger flavorings, I also use Kosher salt.  Kosher salt is great for cooking because the larger and rougher cut of the grains allow for a different taste. 
Step 10- Cover chili and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Step 11- Dish into big bowls... small ones just won't do...
Step 12- If you so desire... add cheddar cheese, sour cream, or avacado/guacomole for a deeeeee-licious treat. 
Step 13- Enjoy and then promptly fall into happy state of being... :)

Ze end!

No comments: