Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thank you sir! May I have another?

If you're not a teacher or involved in the education world, you probably wonder why the hell I keep saying SOL time, SOL time, SOL time. SOL's are basically the standardized testing given in Virginia. My effectiveness and worth is pretty much tied to the results that come from those tests. It's not the only thing that my administrators look at but it's a big indicator of how good I am at my job. So, for the past month I've been all but completely enveloped in these tests. So, when good things happen in the box IN SPITE of the stress and poor eating/sleeping regime of the past month, I get REALLY excited. This past Friday was First Friday at our box which means that we get to choose our own hero or girl workout to hit. I decided that I should hit Annie since I knew we would be lifting heavy on Saturday at competition club. It was 0500, I was tired and I was thinking I just needed to DO WORK. I loosened up and hopped on the clock. My abs felt like Jello but everyone could use a little ab work right? So, anyway, I just kept going and pushed through and nearly peed my pants when I saw the clock. 7:40. Seriously.... I thought the clock was joking. I PR'd on Annie about 2 months ago by nearly 3 minutes, and pulled it in 9:20ish. I thought then that that was awesome. 7:40 just about blew my mind. I wandered around for awhile and then thought that Annie was really short so I really ought to do more work. So I decided that it would be a great idea for me to do something that didn't involve a ton of heavy lifting but I could still hit. So I decided on DT. I warmed up and started in only to realize that after I had done a full round I had the wrong weight on the bar.... DAMNIT! So I reloaded the bar and started again. I felt lethargic and thought after all that wasted energy there was no way that this was going to end well. In my mind I shut off the clock and just kept tring to move. I broke at strategic points but tried to make rest minimal. On rounds 4/5 Jerry got in my face a bit and made me keep going when I started to lag a bit. The last set of jerks felt horrible but I put them up and dropped the bar only to realize I had JUST pr'd AGAIN. I dropped at 10:16, which was over a 30 second PR. I was incredibly happy with both of those results. I really couldn't ask for more. Well, I got more. On Saturday at competition club, we were doing a 1RM snatch, a 1RM clean and jerk, and a max front squat x 2. I have been struggling with my snatch lately (<-------- insert laughter here) but two weeks ago I put up a new PR at 120. Then Saturday despite being tired, I hit a 122 snatch. Stoked doesn't even begin to describe how good that felt. Three PR's in two days? Hellz yeah! I will take it! Thank you sir, may I have another?! The PR was so great in fact that when I SMASHED myself in the forehead with a barbell because my turnover was WAY too slow, I couldn't even be mad about it. It hurt like a son of a gun, and after five years I have NEVER done that, but I guess there's a first time for everything! I'll just say "thank you sir, may have another?" for the PR's and NOT the forehead smashing.... :P

No comments: