Friday, October 17, 2008

The case of the Blackberry Phantom... Mystery Solved!

I didn't make it to CF this morning, largely because I didn't fall asleep until after 1am (I have no idea why) but also because after I did fall asleep, I was awoken by the Blackberry Phantom at 2am. What is the Blackberry Phantom you ask? I will tell you... but not now because I don't have time... but seriously... it's one of the most random things ever and I swear... no one else in this world has as many random things happen to them as I do... I swear! I'm going to start a book about this.... seriously... :P For cereal...
Ok, so lately, I've been making a serious effort to get to bed at a decent hour. I was really pushing the limits with the schedule I was keeping, and I've been trying to change that. I went to bed last night early (like 930ish) and I was convinced that I would lull myself off to never never land. Well.... 930 came, and then 1000 came, and then 1030 came, and I stared at the ceiling... and then 1100 and 1130... and so on until about 130. I finally fell asleep. It was then that the Blackberry Phantom struck. In the middle of the night, he snuck up on me. Not long after, my phone rang. This is odd for many reasons. The first being that I very, very, very, VERY rarely ever have my ringer on. Secondly, no one in their right mind calls me after 10. So imagine my surprise to be woken up by my phone.
Well I answered it, in a sleep induced haze, and woke to a man's voice. Now, the man asked for me by my full name, which was enough to wake me up right quick. I don't give out my full name to anyone. You know me as Katie, not my real name, and certainly not by my middle name. So, needless to say, I was a little bit freaked. He asked me then if I'd lost a Blackberry. He said he found it in the cab. And I said no I hadn't, and then he kept going. Are you sure you don't know whose it is? I'm trying to be a good citizen and blah blah blah. I get that he was trying to be nice, but most people wouldn't call at 2am. They would wait until the next day. Anyhoo, he kept going, are you sure you don't know? Your name was in this phone. The phone call continued for about 5 more minutes before I politely reminded him that it was 2am, and no I didn't know whose phone it was.
He had said he found the phone in the cab and was just trying to return it and since I didn't know whose phone it was he was going to throw it away. Well after I hung up, I was really freaking out. I never thought to ask his name or where he was or anything of the sort... cut me some slack! I had been dead asleep! But anyhoo, so few people know my real name that I was just well, floored. I wondered what in the world had happened. Well, needless to say, my freak out kept me from immediately falling back asleep again and I didn't hit sleep until around 3. When I woke up this morning though, my wits were a bit more about me. I checked the area code on the call and found out it was registered to a Michigan number. Well, I thought that didn't really help. But then I thought about who I knew who actually owned a Blackberry. So I emailed my sister, and lo and behold a few hours later, she let me know she had indeed lost her Blackberry.
She called the guy this morning and thankfully got her Blackberry back, thus saving her about $300... and thus relieving my semi-panicked self... I swear though... why doesn't stuff like this everyone else? The Case of the Blackberry Phantom has been solved... but I'm going to go to bed early tonight... WITHOUT my ringer on.... :P


Angela said...

You got to watch out for them phantoms... ;) Your blackberry doesn't happen to a black pearl does it? Those are cursed you know... ;) :P

Justa said...

But really...what kind of nut calls people at 2am??

Have a good sleep tonight, Katie! Hope the feet are healing.

Katie said...

Justa, my thoughts exactly! I understand wanting to be a good samaritan... me with my bleeding heart and all, but seriously? He could have waited until the next morning... :P

The feet are SLOWLY getting better... there is still a lot of pain and I'm not 100% convinced that I didn't really screw them up... :(