Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How low can you go, how low can you go? Go low!

Oh, yes, the lyrical genius of Ludacris is truly a magnificant thing to behold is it not? :P Ok, so maybe he's not Beethoven or Mozart, but the man has a way with words, or at least the ladies.... ;)

Anyway, Saturday was another one of those days where Jerry had a two wod day planned and we kicked off our morning by building some strength on the back squats. So, while we were all drinking our milk, we were getting ready to squat deep! Jerry had us ramp up a bit and then take 80-85% of our 1rm back squat, and go for 5 sets of 3 reps with that weight. We were to keep the same weight for all 5 sets, and I'll admit, it was pretty challenging. The key to having good back squats is to engage the glutes and hammies and drive out of the hole at the bottom, and boy oh boy, when there is 190 lbs sitting on your back, that sure can be challenging! :P I was pretty pleased though that despite how sore and tired I was (bs were my 5th wod last week) I actually was able to stick with the 190 and didn't have to drop. It was also fun to work with Blain and Gar since I never get to work with them, just see them as I pass through team 0600.

After that, Jerry had set up this really disgusting metcon for us that we were supposed to bust through. Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and share some insight that I've acquired, or at least feel I have acquired. *ehem* It is hard to use your legs after you have done heavy squats. *ehem* Now, others may argue with me, and say that's a big honkin' load of poo, but I strongly feel that I have evidence to support this. :P Metcon land on Saturday was seriously no fun because everything involved legs, and after those squats, I wasn't really feeling so much like a flying machine. The metcon looked like this...

Once through for time
1K row
50 OH lunges (25)
30 KB swings (45)

Time: 9:47

My time on this wasn't horrible, but the speedies had this in about a minute and a half ahead of me, and that makes me feel not happy. I want to get faster, but my diet I know is impeding me, as is my lack of training for the past few weeks. Need need need need need to get faster.

No comments: