Friday, October 16, 2009

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!

I really wish that I could speak really fast Spanish and sound like a really excited sports announcer, but I can't. Sadly, that doesn't exactly translate into my blog. :P But, just because I'm not a sports announcer doesn't mean I can't talk about goals. For awhile now, I've been going through CF sort of ho hum. That's not to say that I haven't been putting effort into things or trying my hardest. I certainly have, but I mean, I've been in a bit of a rut.

You see, I haven't really had a direction as of late. Sure, I've said I want to get stronger and I want to get faster, but really what does that mean? That's so general, so non-specific. I've been doing a lot of thinking about my training lately and I've come to a few decisions. 1.)Now that the first month of school is done and my schedule is slowly calming and coming to more of a routine, it's time to get my Primal mojo back on track. The first thing to go for me is never my wod's. I always need and love the box, but my eating goes to hell in a handbasket the second stress seeps in. I am on the lookout for sugar like a bloodhound on a scent. Ruff ruff bark! Yup, I just barked. It's official. So, anyway, goal numero uno is to get my diet back under control. 2.)It's time for some serious, and I mean SERIOUS goal setting.

It's great to be in the box everyday working out, next to your friends, but really, what's your purpose for being there? If your only purpose is for fun and general fitness, have at it! That's awesome. But most of us need to think beyond that. Most of us need specific goals or we will find that we start to become complacent. We get into that mode of going through the motions and not really pushing as hard as we could because we don't know what we're pushing FOR. Now, is this to say that everyone will become complacent? No, I'm making a generalization of course, but I think the majority of people need to feel like they're working towards something. And that's where I am. I need to work toward something.

Being at the Hopper at BWI CrossFit was great this weekend. I didn't compete but got to see some really awesome performances from friends. Watching all these amazing folks compete really got me to thinking. Now, I had been thinking about setting new goals prior to the Hopper, but being there this weekend and seeing everyone grit through some gutsy performances made me take a second look at the goals I have set. There were a myriad of double unders, GHD's, toes to bar and lots of other moves that I don't particularly excel at. Jerry has said to me before that if he programmed 4 strength days out of the week that I'd probably be ok with that. He's right, I would. But I need to get out of that comfort zone. For awhile, I need to go back to being uncomfortable.

I forget sometimes what it felt like to start at CF. I forget that it takes time to master things and I always want to be able to do things the first time. I didn't clean a bar correctly for probably 4 months, hell, sometimes I still don't. But I stuck with it because I was really determined to learn and get stronger. Now, I want to do the same with some of the other moves. I want to set goals that are measurable and that I can work towards. I don't want to find myself in a rut any longer. So, without further adieu, here is my list of new goals for myself.

1. Improve my deadlift form so that I can complete a 1rm X 300
2. Learn the proper muscle up technique so that I can complete my first muscle up
3. Continue to work on HSPU's so that I can finally achieve my first HSPU
4. Learn how to do DU's quickly (not 1 at a time)
5. Understand how to kip at the bottom of my ring dips so that I can complete them with more speed
6. Jerk a 1rm X 200 (preferably before Christmas)

All six of these goals though start with realization number 1. As Jerry says, you can't outtrain a poor diet. Well said, now it's time to execute.


GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Ok, I just wanted to pretend to be an awesome sports announcer one more time. :) Any goals you're working on?

No comments: