Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beware the widget!!!!

I wanted to type up this little blurb just to warn all my friends out there in blogger land to BEWARE OF THE WIDGET! As we are INCHING ever so much closer to the CF VA/DC/WVA sectionals, I decided to add a counter to my page counting down the time to the competition.

Everything was fine for most of the day, then as I refreshed my page the next day, all of a sudden I could no longer access my blog and everything went to pot. The widget totally hijacked my blog! I was not pleased to say the least. I had to use the Blogger help button because I couldn't go delete the widget! Even going to my layout page wouldn't let me do it. Not happy with that at all! So I used the help function which eventually told me that I needed to go directly to the template and erase the code for the offending widget. But mind you if you f up, it completely screws up your page, so don't delete the wrong code for Pete's sake! Yeah, about that, I was not pleased.

So take a word of advice from me, avoid all 3rd party widgets. Clocks, countdowns, quotes of the day... they are often not user friendly and can easily waste a half hour of your day trying to figure out how to get rid of them!!! Yar!

No comments: