Friday, December 4, 2009

No first Friday for me...

Due to a bad day hangover, I chose not to go to CF today. I'm really a head case at the moment and I'm not really in any position to work out or really be around others at the present moment. One of the problems with me being made the way I am, is that I take things very personally. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. I carry this with me wherever I go, regardless of whether it's here, at the restaurant, at the gym, coaching, life in general. It is what it is. That's all great and well and it pushes me to do good work, but the problem is that then when people attack my work or what I've done, I take it very personally. The problem with that is that as a teacher, I tend to get attacked quite a bit. I don't want to make it sound like an everyday occurance, because it's not always, but it does happen pretty frequently. Parents always want me to do more. I'm always not doing enough to help their child. Regardless of the lessons I do prepare, the materials I do make, the things I do put in place to scaffold for them and try to help them, it's just not enough for them. It's a very frustrating feeling. Most people go home and complain to husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc and then let it go. At this time in my life, I don't have that, and I'm having a hard time letting some of these things go. It's affecting me big time. So I took today off because I also know I have another long day ahead of me with our first swim meet tonight. This of course also means no CF social. When I asked my magic eightball if today was going to be better, it said no. Great.

5 comments:

AngieDSimplyMe said...

Katie,

I'm sorry you had a rough day yesterday. I know it's frustrating, as a teacher, to have parents expect you to do more for their kids. You teachers, well most of you teachers, give everything you have, and care all you can. Unfortunately parents can't see past you sitting at your desk or standing in front of the room. They don't see all the time and hard work you put into preparing for your classes. They also probably are not very involved with their kids homework. Yes you can prepare lessons, teach the kids, give them the information. But in the end, it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are learning, and are getting an education. It is the parents responsibility to be involved more than parent/teacher conference nights. That's why we pulled our daughter from school and now homeschooling, she just wasn't learning what we felt she had the capability to learn. (Yes some of it was the teacher, but not all of it).
Keep your head up.
God Bless

Jenn N said...

Parents want to blame anyone but themselves for their child's issues. If you let it get to you this much, you're obviously a good teacher, so next time - tell them to pound sand.

Wine helps relieve this stress I believe... as well as 'Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia.'

MarkD said...

Cheer up kid. Christmas break is coming.

Anonymous said...

Do what you can to help each of the kids, but measure your results by all of the ones that succeed, rather than the one or two that don't.

You make a difference in the lives of a lot of kids, Katie. Don't ever forget that.

You can try, but you'll never please everyone, no matter how good you are. It isn't possible, and you'll always be chasing an unattainable goal.

Katie said...

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm just super sensitive about my work because I take it so personally. I get very frustrated when I do things I DON'T have to do to help... and then get grief for it. It makes me very angry.