Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dip demolisher...

On Thursday, I slept in due to work on Wednesday night, and decided to hit the night class after practice to get my WOD in. I almost wish that I hadn't because as I write this I am STILL sore. One thing I have noticed in the past few weeks is that my recovery is not very fast. I'm staying more sore for longer periods of time than I used to. I'm not sure what has caused this shift, but I'm not a fan on Facebook.

This workout looks pretty simple, but it demolished me quickly.
Every minute on the minute for 15 minutes
5 ring dips
max cleans

I had 105 lbs on the bar for my cleans, and to be honest, the cleans felt ok. I was able to touch and go with 105. Now, because I was going for speed, there were a few that were not very pretty. My form broke down in a few spots but for the most part, when I was taking a deep breath and getting settled appropriately, I was pretty high up on my shoulders and was doing ok.

Ring dips on the other hand were a whole other can of worms. My max on ring dips is about three. To do sets of five, and then try to go do cleans was horrible. After the first three sets, I scaled the volume and went to 60%. I did 3 dips instead of 5. After about 3-4 more sets like that, Chriss had me move to a band. I really wasn't doing well with the dips. I was so frustrated with the dips, I forgot to keep track of how many cleans I did in all. It wasn't as many as it should have been. Not even close, but I didn't quit, which I really wanted to do after about round 3, and I guess that's the important part, right?

Andrea made a good point and said not to be disappointed because if we were great at everything, we wouldn't have goals. Wouldn't have things to chase. She's absolutely right in saying that. But at the same time, it feels pretty crappy when you suck so badly at things. I know it's just one more thing to work on, but that list feels so long already I don't want to put anything else on it. I like to call this my "goat" list. Things that frustrate me very badly get my goat, and I have a pretty long list of things that do that. So these will be the things I have to work on this year.

Katie's Goat List

Push-ups
Burpees
Running
Muscle-ups
Hand stand push-ups
Ring Dips
Deadlifts
Double unders
Toes to bar

Good thing 2010 is a loooongggg year. :P

No comments: