Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Front squats X 3-3-3-3-3

Never in my life have I ever been so excited about squat racks... well until today that is! :) Now that we are in the new facility, we can do things a wee bit differently. For instance, now we can use squat racks for front squats et al and we don't have to clean everything! It's great! We've hit this workout a few times lately because Jerry has a philosophy about front squats being a key componant to developing a lot of our other skills. You need to have a great rack (haha, I said you need to have a great rack! sorry... I'm 12...) of your bar, and you really have to think about core tension with these. It's very easy to drop the elbows and dip forward in a front squat. It's a common form fault, but working on front squats a lot will help to develop that upright rack position which comes in handy for a lot of other things. So, I really don't mind working this workout every so often.

Today's wod those was a little different with the squat racks. I've use squat racks before back in my, *ehem* globo gym days, getting it on and off was ok. It was just weird not to have to clean the bar, or have human squat racks. I think I was able to game this workout a lot better today. I'm not sure if the racks gave me confidence and I wasn't worried about cleaning etc or what, but today I thought about this one a little more. A normal problem for me on workouts like this is to ramp up TOO slowly. I would go 85, 105, 115, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145 so by the time I actually got to my heavy top, I was pretty tired and just didn't have the gumption to get the weight up. So today I gamed things a little bit differently and I think it really helped. Here's how things broke down.

Front squats X 3
85 X 3
115 X 3
135 X 3
145 X 3
155 X 3

155 X 3 is a new PR for me. I was pretty stoked about that. Last time we hit this (2 weeks ago) I couldn't get 155 up for 1. I think the way I gamed things def helped and allowed me to go heavier. Next time 160? We'll see about that. :) I'm lovin' being in the new CFOT home though. :) Hmmm... I'm going to have to think of a nickname for the facility. I can't say the Blue Room anymore... maybe the Yellow Building of pain? Eh... I don't like that one... I'll have to get creative... give me a few days and I'm sure I'll come up with something... :P Until next time... the feast is mine! Yikes and away! (Oh now, come on, you know I had to bring THAT back :) )

No comments: