Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Squeaky clean!

Jerry threw another metstrength WOD at us today and I have to say, I was hoping for a lifting day, but I guess I'll get that tomorrow instead. (max back squats! :) ) As pleased as I am about how my strength is coming these days, I know I still have a lot of work to do in the box. Ring dips are especially a weakness for me, as are now cleans apparently? It's like we've gone to racks and I've completely forgotten how to clean a bar. WTF? Anyway, today's WOD was a struggle for me but I didn't quit and I got it done.

If you were to ask me to list one thing I like about myself, I would say for me that this is one of the things I really am proud of. Sometimes, I get so disheartened when I see things like ring dips or what have you, but I don't quit. I don't give up on a WOD or myself halfway though. I'm proud of my stubborness you could say, and I'm proud I stuck with this WOD today. This really was a challenge for me. I hit fatigue on the ring dips around round 6 and really had to struggle with the other four rounds. The WOD today looked like this.

10 rft or 30 minutes
3 heavy hang power cleans
6 ring dips
9 box jumps

By round 6 or so my cleans felt a little better, but I noticed today how slow I've become on the bar with regards to my cleans. Whereas my speed with jerks etc has gotten better, my clean strength has sort of faltered big time. Again, regardless though, I didn't quit on the WOD. I kept going and really had to push to get this is. I was at round 5 by around 12 minutes, but only round 7 at about 19-20. I was worried that I was not going to get all 10 rounds in and I really wanted to. Ring dips are such a challenge for me that I didn't want to walk away not finishing this wod today. I hit round 10 at about 26 minutes and busted through the cleans to get to the dips knowing full well they were going to take me awhile.

At minute 28 I could see the clock ticking away and sort of hit panic mode, but Jerry helped get me through the last few dips so I could finish my box jumps. I landed on the floor at 29:01. I cut it pretty close today, but man I was happy to get that in. That really was a hard rx'd WOD for me. I think though for me, the key to improving now needs to focus on form and technique for things I don't do well, and speed for the things I do ok. I think dialing in with that and my diet can take me to that next level of badassitude that I want. Someday I really want to be a firebreather......

No comments: