Saturday, March 21, 2009

30 minutes of metcon dee-liciousness... plus my very first (and second) rope climb!

I would like to preface this blog by saying one simple (or is it compound?... nope pretty sure it's a simple) sentence...

I AM NOT A METCON NINJA!

Hokay, so now that we've established that... allow me to 'splain our day... no, there is too much... let me sum up... Buttercup marry Humperdink in little less than half an hour... ;)

Sorry about that. Sometimes I get off on tangents... ;) Oh come on, you knew that already and if you didn't, now you do, and besides that, who DOESN'T love the Princess Bride? If you don't, you should. If you've never seen it, go watch it before I am forced to beat you... ;)

Anyway, for serial, today's WOD was literally 30 minutes of a metcon thrashing. It went a bit like this.

6 minutes per station
1. Double unders (the sub was 4:1 single unders) and Abmat
2. L-sit (sub strict) and ring dips
3. Row (calories) and burpees
4. KB swings and box jumps
5. Sledgehammer hits and push-ups

Now, there's a trick to this wod. You get to pick the reps, BUT, your reps on your exercises must match. So, for example, if you do 2 l-sits, then you must do 2 ring dips. If you do 5 l-sits, then it's 5 ring dips. You with me? Now, if you do that, you get 2 points, or 5 points, but ONLY if you match your number on each exercise. If you get 3 and 5, no dice on the points. You still with me? So now, you have 6 minutes to do that matching set, as many times as you can. So if you go, 5-5, 5-5, 5-5, you just earned 15 points. At the 6 minute mark you get 1 minute for transition, going in order. This is literally a 35 minute ass kicker. It's metcon, it's strength, it's stamina. Oh lordy did it suck, but in that good metcon thrashing kind of way. You know what I mean.

This was just one of those workouts that only Jerry could design and love... :P

My score today was close to the average range, so I was pretty pleased with that seeing as how metcon.... eh, not so much my thing. I had a 219 on this... I would have had 224 BUT the buzzer rang and I was 1 stinking push-up away from matching 5-5 at the last station... booness.. but the ninja masters had like 320. It was awesome and disgusting at the same time.

But it's ok, you know why? Oh COURSE you DON'T. That's why I'm going to tell you... :) Today I got my VERY FIRST rope climb! I have NEVER climbed a rope before, and today I finally got the cinch down and was able to move up the rope. I was totally stoked! I touched the top beam and everything! :) Now, just to make sure though that it wasn't a fluke (like that one day I got double unders? I haven't gotten them since) so I decided to climb it again after the WOD. :) Yup, no fluke, got it twice. The real test will be if I can get it on Monday. Then I'll know for sure. :P

Ah metcon dee-liciousness and rope climbs... what a great day! :)

2 comments:

Jerry Hill said...

Love the rope climb...good to see you climb into the rafters!

Congrat's!

Katie said...

Thanks Jerry... the rope climb was fun... it would have been better with a cowbell though... ;)