Friday, March 20, 2009

Today I got in "over" my "head"...

Ah, yes... another work week down. One week closer to Spring Break (and hopefully the return of my sanity). Actually, strike that. I'm not sure that's EVER coming back. But anyhoo, today was my kind of day at CFOT. You know... Friday is a heavy lifting day! (Said with rugby chant enthusiasm!) Ahhhh... yes. Today, today was overhead squats! :) *eeeh!*

Overhead squats are really a terrific exercise. I know lots of people don't like them, but they really are good for focing you to work active shoulder, core stabilization, and not to mention your strength. So, today we did some PVC work before jumping into the WOD.

OHS
3-3-3-15

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, WTF mate? (f'ing kangaroos) The idea is that you're to find your three rep max, and then attempt to do a 15 rep set with 75% of your bodyweight. I'm not going to lie, I did the 3 rep max, and by that point, I was caput. So I didn't actually do the 15 rep set. My numbers looked like 'dis.

33 X 15
55 X 5
85 X 3
95 X 3
105 X 3
115 X 3
125 X 3
130 X 2 (SOF)

I am pretty pleased with these lifts to be honest. After everything that's been going on lately in my life; the stress, the crazy schedule, working so much, it's good to feel strong. I know my metcon has gone to pot, but I'll work on getting that back. Tabata scores yesterday were pretty low, but largely because of the push-ups. Aside from that it really didn't feel too bad. But today felt really good. I really wanted to hit that 130 X 3, but by the end, that's just a lot of weight to hold over your head.

I have to say though, you know, that's kinda cool because last time when I did 1 rep maxes, I was only able to get up 135. My 3 rep max today was only 5 lbs less! I'd be totally stoked to start doing more on the OHS. I've got decent midline stabilization, but the problem of course is always jerking the weight up. Jerking 130+ lbs. from behind the head isn't easy by any means. But like I keep saying, always something to work on in CF. So, today I totally got in "over" my "head" but it's ok. I'm cool with that! :)

BTW... if you were wondering where the *eeeh!* thing came from at the beginning of my post... watch this... and pay attention to the pig's face/noises at the end... :)

No comments: