Friday, May 2, 2008

Before and after...

I know that Jerry got some footage yesterday of our workout and I was waiting to post this blog until I could steal it from him, but I would HATE to deprive my readers of their daily dose of me. (I'm like heroin aren't I? You're addicted... ;) ) So anyway, I really wanted to wait because we hit hang squat cleans again. Jerry was telling me how smooth my form looked, and at the end of class I asked Jerry if we could put our video from yesterday with the video from the beginning of March, where I was just getting absolutely FRUSTRATED with my form, and using a 35 pound bar.

Now, I realized after I said it yesterday that I may have offended some people because I was laughing at my weight. I hope that I didn't, but if I did, I hope that they understand that to me, I was laughing at how far I've come, not the weight. 35 lbs is still a lot of weight for someone to pick up and haul around, but I was laughing at the ridiculous difference between my hang squat clean barely a month and a half ago (35lbs), and my hang squat clean PR now (110lbs). Does that seem a little silly to anyone else? It makes me giggle. That's a huge gap! Which should tell those of you who are also struggling with form as well, that weight will come with good form. Believe me, if you would have told me that day that a month later I'd be cleaning and squatting over three times that, I would have laughed in your face. For cereal. This is what Jerry does for me, and I wish you could all have a little Jerry that you could keep in your pocket and carry around with you. (Hmmm... Jerry, this sounds like a marketing idea, yes? I see a miniature sized Jerry with a Rest Later t-shirt on a key chain! Maybe if you push a button on his back he can even say a few choice phrases...:) ) Anyhoo, it's amazing what he can do!

Now, having said that, here's what yesterday's fun looked like...

Warm-up
Hang squat progression

WOD
Hang squat cleans X7 (65lbs)
Chins x7
Ring dips X7 (double floss)

Jerry started out by putting AMRAP in 30 minutes or 10 rounds, but then erased the or ten rounds. Dangit. I was clippin a pretty good pace through this one today and I was feeling pretty stoked that I was going to get in 10 rounds before 30 minutes. Then I hit round 8. At about round 8 I sort of hit the wall. I could see the end in sight, but I was starting to run out of steam. I hit 10 rounds though, and Jerry said we were at 27 minutes, so I just kept going. All in all I got in 11 1/3. My legs were shaking at the end from all the squat cleans. I guess you don't realize when you do it 12X7 that you really wind up doing 84 squat cleans. Woo! And 77 ring dips and 77 chins... now that I do the math, no wonder this freakin' thing hurt so much!!!! I'm sure the 0645 crew smoked my 11 1/3 rounds because as Georgia said, apparently they're where it's at, (Funny, I thought that was Beck?) but nonetheless, I still think I put in some pretty good work yesterday. I'm going to leave you with the before video. My hang squats mid March. As soon as Jerry posts the after video, I will steal it and put it up here for you to see. :)

Before



And now... After... am I allowed to be excited that there is less of me?




Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.
~Elbert Hubbard

No comments: