Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My newest CrossFit goals and my latest book idea...

Dude, I warned you I had a lot of stuff to talk about today. I think since I was so persnickety yesterday, I was doomed to be hit with creativity overload today. Well creativity and some randomness. But come on, my life is one giant PILE of randomness. So try to keep up, k? ;)

So, I stole the idea from Tanya to add the little Feedjit map thinger to my blog, and I love looking at it everyday. It's so fun! (have I used that word enough lately? FUN!) I can see where people are that are reading me, and I think it's awesome. So my new CrossFit goal, is to have at least one CrossFit reader/friend/Kult member in every state. I have already accomplished 21 states, although it might be more now. I just recounted and I think it's 23. :) So, my new goal is to make CrossFit friends. Lots and lots of them. :) Now, to my already CrossFit friends, this does not mean I don't love you. It just means you are going to have lots more friends too. :)

Now, my new idea for a book. So, my job is really starting to stress me out. Parents demanding their kids grades be changed, end of the year tests, me just running on empty and not having had a day off in over 30 days. It's a lot sometimes. So my friend asked me the other day if I could have my dream job, what would I do. I told her I would write. (Gee, imagine that! :P) But then she said about what. And I said, CrossFit and kids' books. And she was the almighty voice of reason saying that I can't blog for a living. Truth, I could, but don't ask me how. But I'm sure I could. But then I thought, but I could write a book about CrossFit, but then I thought, no. I don't know enough to do that. But then I thought... what IF.... I took one GIANT CrossFit road trip and I worked out with an affiliate in every single state? Then I took all the stories, cause oh how I'm sure there would be stories, about my Cross Country CrossFit Road Trip, people I met, dumb things that only happen to me and turn them into a book. But then I realized that this would never happen because I cannot finance it, but oh... if I could. How freakin' awesome would that be?

Just to have to get up and travel and see the country, meet new people, and CrossFit. I already know where my first state would be too, and my first affiliate. Well, New York, and the big bad black box at CrossFit NYC. But alas, unless I hit the lottery, I know it is not possible. But oh how much fun it would be! :)

14 comments:

Mr. Mirek said...

I too share that fun goal of working out in good affiliates across the country. Next time you're through Chicago though, you'll just have to join us (me and Tanya). We're definitely not an affiliate, but we are fun people.

I have two potential visits already planned (TX in July, Rockford, IL in August). I really should make it out to one here in the city of Chicago, but where's the adventure there? If ever I get out there to DC (maybe this summer), I am totally coming your way!

Hey, school's almost out for summer. Stay strong! Teach with CF intensity! ;)

Katie said...

Hey, affiliate or not, I'd be happy to join you if I'm ever in Chicago. Problem is, I never leave Va, unless it's to go to Pa. I'd love to come though... confessional time... I've never left the East Coast, the farthest south I've been is VA, and I have never flown. Oh hush! Yes, I know! I've lived a sheltered life. This is why the 50 state affiliate road trip would be unbelievably fun for me. :) If anyone reading works for the lottery, and you would like to arrange for me to win so I can finance my dream trip... I promise I won't tell a soul! ;)

georgia said...

Katie - two things

First - Get to know and love Matthew Lesko. There are a thousand government programs and monies out there for you to make this book idea a reality. There are grants to pay for your transportation, the cost of workouts (which I bet you could get most affiliates to let you do one or two workouts for free with the publicity and your sweet ways), your housing, and even a stipend to help feed your muscles. Plus, the CrossFit community is so strong, I bet you'd have a lot of couches to stay on as well as Zone dinner invites. Start researching. MAKE IT REAL! Besides, you're young. A year of poverty to live a dream is beyond worth it. Blog it throughout - get advertisers to pay - let people donate - compile the book at the end with extra tidbits - bring a video camera along and make a documentary or to provide footage for when you are on the Today Show thumping your book...just be sure to mention your roots at Jerry Hill's CrossFit Challenge!

Second - DON'T CHANGE the GRADES! These kids are in third grade and need to learn the truth about life. What you put in is what you get out. And, if it's a weakness, work it till it's a strength. And tell the parents to take a chill pill. ;) (Then again, I think Fairfax County does make it really hard on students who need extra resources to keep on pace with their peers. I feel bad you teachers have to deal with frustrated parents.)

georgia said...

stumping, not thumping...duh :)

Katie said...

Thanks for the support Georgia. I've been feeling a bit under the gun this week, and it's really getting to me. As for my trip, I know that a 50 state tour would be hard to plan, but I was thinking maybe this summer of just doing a few surrounding states. I need to travel and stop being so sheltered, and hey, it'd be fun! :) You wanna join?

Cara said...

Katie - I'm with Georgia on this one - do it!!!

Also - if you want some company for a week or so, I'm down :-)

georgia said...

I'm totally down for some Crossfit Girls' Trips this summer. But I want to get you on a plane, too!

Katie said...

Well Georgia, we could always fly to New York. I hear the black box is lovely this time of year... ;)

Tanya said...

Ok...I left my comment on your newer post before this one but...

#1: Come to Chicago! I have a spare bedroom and we can crossfit with Mr. Mirek. You can buy the plane ticket, and flying isn't so bad. Take some valium if you're nervous. This would be the perfect time to do your 5k that I have planned for you. Yeah it would be a tad bit strange seeing you in person as you are my "blog friend" but I bet we'd be over that in 5 seconds. And I live really REALLY close to Midway airport in chicago...

#2 You are a teacher, search the internet!!! Last year I went to the galapagos islands via a grant for teachers (www.fundforteachers.com). Check out my travel blog: www.travelpod.com/members/team_tortuga

This summer from June 25 to July 13 I am going to Mexico via another teacher grant to study archaeology and geology of the Yucatan peninsula...flying into Cancun!!

You CAN find a way to finance your Crossfit trip!! DO IT!!!!

Tanya said...

Ps...Do you have a facebook??

Katie said...

Tanya... I have a facebook, a myspace, a blog... ;) I'm not hard to find... LOL. You can search for me by using my email fairmank@gmail.com. I have lots of fun CrossFit pics on my facebook page. :)

georgia said...

Um, NYC is all about taking the bus. Planes are for Florida...Texas...California...Colorado...Utah...Idaho...Arizona...and, of course, Crossfit London.

But I do want to check out the Black Box. Day trip?

Katie said...

How about we start with a plane to Chicago, and visit Tanya and Mr. Mirek, and then we fly to Santa Cruz to visit with Kim? :) Yes? Maybe then to Texas to visit with Rick?

Katie said...

First tings first... I need to get a camera to record and document our adventures... then... I need to pay down my cc bill... cause I'm going to need a big credit limit to do all this... this is crazy... but I love it! :) See part 2 today... :)

I missed you this am! You would have floored my time again... :(