Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sometimes ignorance is bliss...

So, I took a personal day on Friday so that I could travel back to PA for a fun weekend and some time away from DC. Mondays in school are pretty hectic since they're short days (kids dismiss at 1245) and I really didn't get to see my teammates at all yesterday. So today at recess I got hit with a bombshell.

Last week the county sent out it's projections for staffing based on it's current situation. For those of you who don't know, my district is in a world of hurt thanks to the housing market crash that occurred here this year. Unlike other districts, we rely HEAVILY on property taxes to fund our education. We have an operating budget that is over the billion (yup I said billion) dollar mark. Well, thanks to the downward spiral, and a screw up by the state last year which left us about 17 million dollars short for our school year last year, our county is making lots of cuts. Naturally, some of these cuts involve employees. (Although ironically of all the staffing cuts I've heard, I haven't heard of any on the administrative level... hmmm... cutting teachers and IA's is a better option eh?)

Well, in our projection last week, the county told us that we need to cut 2.5 positions, which means that two full time teachers, and one half-time teacher were destaffed. Destaffing occurs based on number of years experience within the county.
Let's just say that I didn't dodge the bullet by much. If numbers continue to drop and our district requires more cuts, there is only one person standing between me and the axe. While I don't anticipate that the numbers will drop that drastically, it's still not a nice feeling to have the possibility of losing your job hanging over your head. I just moved my job last year, so I really don't want to have to move again. It was enough of a scare to raise my stress level and my blood pressure a little bit. I really wish today was a day where CrossFit was having an evening class. I could really use some stress relief! Oi! Ignorance really is bliss.....

16 comments:

Mr. Mirek said...

Hey, you can always come out to Chicago. There are plenty of teaching positions here in the city. And don't believe all of the media; there are some good schools in the system. And no, the kids don't all carry around guns with them.

Do you teach in Reston? I have a cousin-in-law teaching in the Reston area...his last name is Thiessen. Ever hear that name? If so, let me know.

And way to dodge the proverbial bullet. I'll keep you and your job in my thoughts. And dodging bullets is totally a CF thing to do...try it sometime...it's intense! ;)

Katie said...

Mr. Mirek, only you would think of turning "bullet dodging" into a CF exercise... thanks for the thoughts. Glad I'm still gainfully employed. :P (even if it's really not that gainful)

georgia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
georgia said...

Katie you should totally consider taking Mr. Mirek up on his Chicago teaching offer. Chicago is awesome and I'd live there myself if I was woman enough to withstand the crazy cold winter. And no, I'm not trying to get rid of you but I'm now on a mission to expose you to the world. :)

Katie said...

Georgia that is A ok with me... but somebody needs to help me buy a plane ticket. I have no idea how to do this crap! :(

Cara said...

I'm so glad you dogged that bullet!!

georgia said...

Sorry, Katie. I thought you were joking the other day. Go to www.kayak.com and enter in the trip start date and end date, starting point (washington, dc) and end point (destination) and click search. Choose the cheapest flight with the best schedule for you. Click on select...provide credit card information...hit confirm...receive a happy little email that acts as your confirmation number/electronic ticket to be used at the airport. Just go to the front desk of the airline you'll be flying and tell them it's your first time...they'll help you through :)

Katie said...

Sadly, no Georgia, I really wasn't kidding...

benweger said...

Sadly, that is becoming more common everywhere. My mother was a teacher for 37 years and recently retired. With all the headaches you have to deal with these days, the last thing you need to worry about is losing your job.

Unknown said...

Hey Katie,
Sorry to hear about the stresses!
What county do you teach in? That's horrible that 3 people lost their jobs. Who's teaching the children then? Will they just consolidate classes?

Katie said...

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Teaching is becoming more and more of a headache. I wonder often if I will last 35 years. I don't know if I have it in me.

Adrienne, you are correct. Class sizes for next year will increase. It's just a matter of figuring out what grade level is going to get screwed....

Brad said...

Teach in Alabama - full retirement after 25.

I think North Carolina has a good retirement system as well.

Mr. Mirek said...

About traveling, I think you need to give CouchSurfing a try. Just look it up. As far as teaching goes, how many years have you been teaching? Once you get over 5, you will see that there is an end in sight...don't burn out now. And 35 years? Is that how VA works? Chicago's pretty decent! And yes, the winter's do suck; I will one day move south with the birds. My one year teaching in Florida was great!

Katie said...

I'm getting the feeling that everyone just wants me to move to Chicago... ;) Georgia wants to get rid of me... Tanya and Mr. Mirek just love me so much they want me closer to them at all times... ;) I'm in high demand apparently. :)

georgia said...

I'm not trying to get rid of you! I heart you! But I'm a big, no, HUGE promoter of people getting out there and living in as many places as possible before settling down and planting roots. I like having friends all over the world so that when I travel, I always have a slice of home. It's all selfish really.

Katie said...

Well Georgia, just so long as you heart me... we're all good... :) Tehe... I heart you! :)