Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Back in the saddle...

So after 3 days off, it was inevitable that I was going to have to get back in the CrossFit saddle. I picked quite a day to do that. No usual lifting warm-ups or quick cals today. Oh no, we get straight into the running. I'm not sure how really to explain what is going on with my knees except to say they feel tight and too many stairs or too much walking makes them throb. Running was getting a lot better for me, but it seems to have slipped back into a nemesis for me. I'm not sure why. I haven't stopped running. In fact we're running on average twice a week in circuits, plus I'm doing things on my own on Saturdays. But I'll tell you, the last few runs I've done have been terrible. Badger, Saturday, and today were so slow for me. I really have felt disgusted with the effort. I was just sucking wind big time. I know we are all allowed to have off days, and sometimes off weeks, but this seems ridiculous. I felt like poo all last week, and now it's continuing and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm sleeping, I'm still Zoning (for the most part), and nothing has changed. I really don't get it. I just feel heavy, like lead. It really sucks. But enough of my complaining because that's not why you dropped by. You dropped by to see what kind of pain Jerry hath brought. Our fun looked like this...

Warm-up
3 rounds for time
400 meter run
25 jumping slamballs (15 lbs)

WOD
5 rounds
1:00 on each station
Clock never stops
AMRAP at each station
Calculate total 1 pt per excercise

Deadlifts (85 lbs)
Box jumps
Abmat sit-ups

The circuit today was a metcon gasser, but it felt pretty good. Way better than the running/slamball circuit. I actually totalled 289 on this, but I kinda feel like I cheated. The girls in the 0645 class used 4 mats for box jumps and I only did 3. I still put in the work, don't get me wrong, but I felt after the fact that I should have done 4. You know how that always goes... :P The dealifts felt pretty solid, and I actually was able to crank out a decent number for each round. I was really working on keeping my butt high and back. Andrea mentioned the other day that she thought I was really quad dominant on some of my movements, so today was a good day to get that posterior chain to work. Abmat sits felt a little off, but I think it's just form. So, all in all, not a bad day's work.

Now, if you didn't read yesterday's post, you should... I don't very often get very uppity up about something I write, but I like the way that the post yesterday came out... so go read it! :P

16 comments:

Diarist said...

I'm new to crossfit, loving it though. Seems I'm in a tiny minority in the UK too.

Each time I do the workout it honestly feels like the hardest workout I've done.

I leave the gym stinking of ammonia some days and wanting to puke..

Love it!

Katie said...

Hey! Thanks for dropping by... I wish I had your name and didn't have to address you as "Hey" but we'll work on that.

From what I hear, CrossFit in the UK is spreading, slowly, but surely. Give it another year and I'm sure you won't be in such a small minority anymore.

If you leave the gym wanting to puke some days, you know you're doing it right! Keep up all the hard work and feel free to stop by and comment often! :) (I like to have fun stuff to read!) :)

Diarist said...

I'm Steve by the way.

JB said...

good effort katie.

the warmup sounds worse that the actual workout.

knees still bad?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, maybe you are overtraining? I've had that happen back when I used to run a lot. It seemed like the harder I worked the worse I felt. Somewhere on the main site there's a video clip of Eva T. talking about it.

As for the knees, have you tried Thera-Gesic? It stinks to high heaven, but it seems to work. I have trouble with my knees too (arthritis runs in the family.) When my knees hurt I usually put some on before I go to bed. If I'm really desperate I put it on during the day, but I really don't enjoy smelling like a little old lady. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Katie said...

Steve, welcome to the Kult... ;) and as a new CrossFitter, welcome! CrossFit has done lots of really wonderful stuff for me and I hope that you are discovering how powerful the program is! If you'd like a dissertation sometime, I can share my story with you... in fact an update on my story is in the works soon... anyhoo, before I ramble too much, feel free to stop by often, and prepare yourself for harassment. I like to harass the people who stop by and read my page... just ask Lars... he had no idea what he was getting into... :)

Jerry, thanks for droppin by brother... I always feel better when the regulars are around... :) The knees... I don't know what to say. They are just tight. Bending them is just... it feels weird. Not normal... like the tendons holding them in place are super tight. Like I don't have as much flexation (is that a word or did I just invent one?) It's just odd, and if I do too much, they start to throb... it doesn't help that I'm on at the restaurant 9 straight days... even though I wear running shoes, concrete stairs plus AMRAP stairs during my shift is no bueno... how's the hip?

Tami, the thought of smelling like an old lady makes me cringe... I don't want to be old already! :(

Anonymous said...

RE: being little old lady.

Hey, your knees hurt. You're halfway there!

Just kidding :-), you're never going to get old. Really. But the Thera-Gesic helps, I swear. Well, it helps me anyway - but my problem may be different than yours.

Lars said...

Harassment? Borders on stalking if you ask me :)

Good workout, Katie. I might make your warmup my main event tonight...

Lars said...

Oh, and welcome to Steve, you have no idea what can of worms you just opened up :-)

Katie said...

Really Lars? Stalking? Come on... just because I was outside your window last night that does NOT constitute me as a stalker... :P I just wanted to make sure you got your tabatas in and weren't being a Nancy... ;)

Katie said...

Adrienne, I stuck around for the 645 class... despite Melanie's efforts and getting the 100 bullwhips in a row, I think our lead was lost... it didn't help that team 0645 had 10 men, and that team 0730 consisted of Mike, Jack, and Joel among others..... we certainly did give them a good run for their money! :) It was so great to work out with you today! I feel like I keep missing you! :( You are looking strong! Keep it up girl and you'll be blowing past my 24 chins...

Adrienne said...

For some reason.. I feel really far away from 24 pullups.. I feel really far away from 20 pullups. I'm struggling to get 10 in a row. The new pullup technique is a big struggle.

Adrienne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

Adrienne, anything that is new or different always feels like a struggle at first. You've only been back on the bar for a few weeks. Remember how much time it took some of us to get the kip and to get off bands? Patience grasshopper. It will come and you will be beating my butt all over the pull up bar again too... :)

JB said...

my last comment didn't work, let's try this again...

"stick it" unfortunately, i haven't seen it. i'm sure it was really popular with 12 year old girls in gymnastics and cheerleading.

i'll be sure to rent it. NOT!

Katie said...

Jerry, no one has said "Not" since the 6th grade.... ;) I think you already watched the movie... ;)