Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I hurt all over...


So, if you've been reading my blog, you know we've done some doozies this week. We kicked it off on Sunday with the 5 rounds of deadlifts, cleans, front squats, and clean and jerks. Then Monday was the pull-up/jump squat ladder, followed by the PR deadlifts yesterday. We've had a busy week! My legs were already sore, but Jerry did me in with his doozy today. I think this out to have been some sort of named workout. This HURT. So now, my legs and my arms are sore. Hence the title, I really do hurt all over! Today's fun, or funishment as Jerry likes to say looked like this:

WOD
For time
800 Meter run
30 clean and presses (55lbs)
30 chins
800 Meter run
25 clean and presses
25 chins
800 Meter run
20 clean and presses
20 chins

You know, the first round of this was actually pretty speedy for me. I wasn't that far behind on the run, and my speed through the cleans and chins, actually put me out the door first before everyone. But that didn't last long. Steven and Leslie are AWESOME runners and soon streaked past me. My running today seemed attrocious and my legs felt like dead weight. I really tried to open up my stride, but by round 3 I really couldn't. I felt good on the presses and chins though. I didn't waste too much time resting. I've been pretty good about that this week. I was able to do the clean and presses in pretty big chunks, which definitely helped me power through them. The chins took me a little longer because I couldn't do big sets after all the cleans and presses. I was a little fried, but overall kept mostly to sets of 4-6. So, all in all, not a bad day in the Blue Room, except that now I can't move. Ouch. :P Oh, my time on this one was 32:35.

As an aside, I'm still bitter about my craptastic fortune cookie.

I will also be in PA for a few days... oh but don't worry... I'm sure I'll be updating and perhaps even stirring up trouble at my local globo gym. :) Hehehe...

11 comments:

georgia said...

So, the real reason I asked you to stop cheering me on is that I knew my time sucked big time today and that you'd already beat me by tons of minutes. At that point I was just trying to ignore the pains in my shoulders and hands. Thanks for being sweet...but I was in a rough mood this morning and I hate losing! :)

How awesome was that scale? I was sure you'd mention it in your blog...

Safe travels!

Katie said...

Georgia, I am not a fan of the scale that tells me I am 30% body fat... that one hurt... :(

As for me beating you by tons of minutes... hardly! You were right there with me... besides, normally you beat the pants off me... can't I just have one Georgia?! :P I hear you on trying to ignore the pain though. We've had a rough few days!

Anonymous said...

Nice WOD! I'll need to refer to this one in the future.

BTW...don't pay a bit of attention to those scales that supposedly measure bodyfat percentages. They are notoriously inaccurate. If you want a better reading, buy calipers. You know your own body. Take pictures every week and compare them. You'll know if you're moving in the right direction.

georgia said...

Actually, Justa, we had a lady this morning get on the fancy scale to test it's accuracy. A couple of weeks ago she did the Bod Pod at the Pentagon, which is the most accurate measurement available these days. Better than the water test even. Her scale numbers this morning were right in line with her Pod results.

As for calipers, the tricky thing is that the exact spot must be measured each time. A little off can mean a lot off.

I'm going to go with the scale that we used this morning...measuring is measuring so long as the environment/test is controlled the same each time...with calipers, it can't be.

Diarist said...

I love those sorts of workouts! I love them because they 'break the rules' at my gym. You know the ones where it says 'thou shalt not do cardio and weights in the same session', and 'what on earth is a clean!'.

When do you take your rest day though?

Cara said...

Damnit - missed the scale, I hope it'll be there tomorrow!

Katie said...

Justa, feel free to borrow anything you read! :)

Sreve, Chuck Norris doesn't need rest days and neither do I... ;) Actually I'm just teasing... usually Steve, my rest day comes when I'm whooped... or I need to travel or do something work related... since I'm headed to PA for a few days, I wanted to make sure I got a few solid days of work in before I go.

Cara, the scale will be around for awhile. They weren't doing anything official it was just there.

Unknown said...

Not sure if you were of this but when Chuck Norris does a push-up, he isn’t lifting himself up; he is pushing the world down.

Robin said...

This workout reminded me of "Grindy" because it has clean and press PLUS chins. Grindy is Grace and Cindy smashed together. We did it recently and lots of our people said it's their new favorite. Let me know if you give it a try.

Katie said...

Robin, we hit Grindy awhile back... we did this on April 25, and I used 85 lb presses. I remember that day and it SUCKED! I completed the 3 round in 29:33.

Katie said...

Forts, I did know that actually. But this is just for you... ;)

In fine print on the last page of the Guinness Book of World Records it notes that all world records are held by Chuck Norris, and those listed in the book are simply the closest anyone has ever gotten.