Sunday, July 27, 2008

It was bound to happen... or I was hoping it was bound to happen...

I was wandering around Old Town tonight because I didn't have to work, so on the way back uptown to check my schedule at work I decided to slip into Ann Taylor Loft, since it was right there, and they had a big sign that said 'Sale'. Damnit. Those bastards know I can't resist a sale.

So I went in, and I saw a couple things I like, picked them up in my size and headed for the dressing room. Well, I tried on the shirts first, and then went to try on the pants, and was a little perplexed. They didn't fit. So I tried on the shorts, and the skirt, and the other pants I brought in with me. They didn't fit either. So, I went out and did something that was unthinkable. I looked for a smaller size. I couldn't find all the clothes in a smaller size, but found a few, and headed back into the dressing room, and you know what? The smaller size fit. It FIT! THEY FREAKIN' FIT! I have not been a size 8 since I was 16 years old! That's 10 years! Now, had it been just 1 pair of pants or shorts, I could chalk it up to a bigger sizing or the cut of the pants, but I can't deny several pieces of clothes. I also can't deny it, because back in mid April, I went to that same store and bought some shorts. I bought a pair of striped Bermuda shorts in a size 12. I like my clothes a little loose (years of being the fat girl will give you that complex where you don't want anything touching your skin) and the 12 was a little loose.

Well, I haven't been able to wear those shorts. They fall off. I found the same pair on clearance in a size 10. They didn't fit either. I put on the 8, and they fit, and there is actually even a little room. I couldn't believe it. I really couldn't. In the middle of the dressing room I nearly started to cry. But I was the last person in the store and I was holding up the cleaning process so I got my stuff together and left.

To the girl who has always been overweight and who has always had weight issues... you can't possibly imagine what that moment felt like. Only with CrossFit would I have found this success... I'm hoping that despite my semi-destructive emotional eating this weekend, I can continue to progress...

And as a late addition... this has got to be quite possibly the funniest picture I've ever taken. As an impulse buy, I purchased a pair of aviators on my way out of Ann Taylor since I broke my sunglasses on the way to New York. Haha...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo, as a former "fluffy" girl myself I share in your joy.

I'm totally with you on not liking tight fitting clothes. I remember going shopping with a friend after I lost a lot of my weight and she was trying to convince me to buy some tighter pants. I said I spent too many years HAVING to wear tight pants, I was not about to wear them on purpose now that I didn't have to.

Unknown said...

Very nice, looking good!

Katie said...

Thanks Tami. I quite possibly felt like I had just won the freakin' lottery. Now, I just have to hope that my destructive emotional Italian/ice cream binge this weekend didn't ruin everything for me. :(

I know what you mean about the pants though. I always feel like things shouldn't cling to my body because you will be able to see my flaws. Even though they're less know, it's still that mindset that's hard to break. I actually am considering returning one of the shirts today because I look a little ridiculous in it because it's too big. I look house like. But, I will admit, that's not a problem I mind having for what I think has to be the first time ever. :) It feels good... no. I take that back. It feels f'ing great! :)

Forts... thanks... ;)

P.T. said...

I can relate to that feeling. A while back I went to by some new jeans and was surprised to find that I'm now more comfortable in a 36. When I started I was wearing 40's. I will admit to trying a pair of 34's and while they fit I too enjoy my clothes a little loose. But, my XL shirts are a little to big now so I've downsized to larges there too. It does feel great, victorious even.

Cool glasses. You haven't been spontaneously busting out singing "You've lost that Loving feeling" have you?

Katie said...

Hahahahaha! Oh PT, that was great! No, I haven't been... but I may need to now that you brought it up... from now on you can call me... Maverick... ;)

Matt Komar said...

Congrats on the new size. I have to warn you, it does get expensive. I have spent so much money on new pants over the last 3 years. Went from a 36" to a 34" to a 32" now to a 30" or even a 29". Goodwill loves me!

Darcy 'D2' said...

Congratulations! that is awesome. Enjoy some new clothes shopping.

Adrienne said...

CONGRATS!!! I second Matt's warning about having to buy new clothes. I was a 10 verging on a 12 and I had to do an entire wardrobe of size 8, 6 and now 4. I have kept a few of my pants that are super cute from Ann Taylor.

You're more than welcome to check them out. I can't afford to get them taken in, and no one wants to pay for all of those new pants!

Katie said...

Thanks Matt! Goodwill is going to love me soon, or I'm going to love myself. I'm thinking of a yard sale to make myself some mulah! :)

Adrienne, maybe we could strike up a deal? I could pay you in ice cream and snickers? ;) I kid I kid! But maybe I could give you something? That would be super cool because I truly have very few things that fit the way they should right now. It's actually a little embarassing almost. :(

lin.k said...

Congratulations on the progress you've made in sculpting your physique! That's quite a dramatic improvement. I always have a problem when strong, naturally beautiful women get down on themselves. So go out and buy a nicely low-cut, clingy top, and smile wide for all those who can't dead lift 200+lbs at six in the morning.

Unknown said...

I'll bring some pants in the morning! You'll be able to get in my pants Katie ;)

hahahahhaha.. I'm such a hornball.

Anonymous said...

Great work! I always love the PR's, but deep down I really love when my pants get loose. However, I don't really like it when my pants are falling off during double unders. heehee

Katie said...

Thanks Linda!

Adrienne, my mom reads my blog! :P Just teasing... ;) I always suspected you were trying to get me into your pants... you are sneaky... ;)

Kim, one reason I'm glad we don't do double unders... ;) Although,with the new space coming soon, I am not sure I'll be able to say that much longer...

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic, Katie! It's just another benefit of a CF lifestyle!

BTW...you look too cool in the sunnies. Great picture!